A Saturating and Vegan Morning Breakfast Shake
Here we are, it’s early in the morning and you are about to be out of the home the entire day. Whether you are in the office, traveling, or going for a hike. A healthy and well nurturing breakfast is super important and will make your day.
I was in a similar situation and I became frustrated because having a few toasts or a small cup of müsli for breakfast is neither super nourishing also did I become pretty soon hungry again. I found some premade breakfast shakes online (e.g. Huel) and I loved the idea. I looked which ingredients they use and it was funny to see how they mix oats with flaxseeds and sell it for 60 bucks. So I simply created my own breakfast shake, let’s go.
- Oatmeal (0,5 – 1 cup)
- Wheat germs (2 tbsp.)
- Flaxseeds (4 tsp.)
- Barley grass (1 tsp.)
- Almond mash (1tsp.)
- Frozen berries / or a banana (0,5 – 1 cup)
- Cinnamon (1/2 tsp.)
- Maple syrup or sugar for the sweetness (optional)
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Guarana (1tsp.; optional, great if you are tired)
- Put all the ingredients in your blender; fill in the water as the last step. If you use frozen berries it is helpful to use around 70°C hot water – otherwise, your shake will be ice-cold.
- In the best case, leave the mixture to draw; usually, I drink some juice or coffee while my shake is steeping. This is important in order to get the most nutrition out of your ingredients. Soaked oatmeal and wheat germs are much better to digest!
- After your shake has steeped, blend it for a few minutes on the highest level.
- Congrats, the shake is ready.
How to Drink
I personally take at least 20 minutes to drink the shake and I recommend anyone to do the same. I think it cannot be healthy to drink 1 liter of a shake in one go. So take your time, read the newspaper, follow your morning routine, and drink your morning shake slowly. My rule of thumb is to take as much time to drink it as I would have needed if you ate all the ingredients non-liquid.
The nutritional value of this shake is superb! It also keeps you saturated for many hours, often I even skip my lunch entirely.
Try it out and please leave a comment below if you like this receipt!